Friday, October 3, 2008

When the Real Life side of the scale tips...

For those of us who like to refer to themselves as Gamers, there tends to come a time when the level of gaming addiction or obsession reaches a burn out pinnacle. For some the lure of VW’s and fantasy pulls away from real life.

Some gamers are fortunate to keep RL and Gaming Life separate. For 10 years I was fortunate to have a very nice balance between my real life time and my “fun” time. For the last year and a half, I’ve been completely addicted to Second Life.

The stimulation, creativity, social aspects, so much of it met so many of my needs. Unfortunately, my balance slipped and I crossed the line from RL to SL. I spent every free moment in SL. I grew attached to people. Those people started meaning more to me than the people from my RL.

So, the time has come for a forced break from Second Life. It’s been two weeks now and I’ve been able to resist the temptation of logging in. I miss my friends, more than anything else. I admit to definitely missing the shopping as well.

It's difficult to think that I'll not ever come back. I suppose I will just have to wait and see what life has in store for me.

1 comment:

Dyami Jameson said...

I can honestly say that about a year or so ago, I found myself in this same situation. I ended up taking a short break, did some things that I should have already done, and basically recharged my SL batteries. When I came back I made alot of new friends and got involved in things that I hadn't before. I needed the break. Now SL is an escape for me. I log in to be with friends. However, my FL always comes first.

Sometimes it's good to take a step back and reevaluate things a bit and catch your breath. It looks like you have everything in perspective. I wish you good luck with whatever choice you make.